10 Tips for Making Sure Your Contractor Measures Up
- Hire only licensed contractors.
- Check a contractor’s license number online at www.cslb.ca.gov or by calling (800) 321-CSLB (2752).
- Get at least three bids.
- Get three references from each bidder and review past work in person.
- Make sure all project expectations are in writing and only sign the contract if you completely understand the terms.
- Confirm that the contractor has workers’ compensation insurance for employees.
- Pay only 10% down or $1,000, whichever is less. Pay by check or credit card instead of cash.
- Make payments only as the work progresses.
- Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project, including all payments.
- Only make the final payment when you’re satisfied with the job.
General Building Contractor